Paul WiegandVice President - Water Resources and Laboratory Operations & Director, Northern and Western Regions
Office Location: Independent – Holly Springs, NC
Paul Wiegand is Vice President, Water Resources and Laboratory Operations & Director, Northern and Western Regions at NCASI. In this capacity, he oversees technical studies and environmentally-related support activities in areas related to water use and quality, aquatic biology, chemical management, and health effects. He is also responsible for NCASI’s regional support activities in the northern and western United States. Prior to his current position at NCASI, Paul served as Regional Manager at NCASI’s West Coast Regional Center in Corvallis, Oregon and, prior to that, a Senior Research Engineer at the NCASI Central-Lake States Regional Center in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Paul began his career as a Process Engineer and then an Environmental Supervisor at an integrated bleached kraft pulp mill in Canton, North Carolina. Paul also serves as the current Environmental Editor of the TAPPI Journal.
- BS in Paper Science and Environmental Engineering, Western Michigan University (Kalamazoo, MI)
- MS in Environmental Engineering, Oregon State University (Corvallis, OR)
Research capabilities and/or focus areas
- Process water management
- Wastewater treatment
- Ambient water quality assessment and criteria
- Effluent regulations
- Health protection
Awards and Career Highlights
- Author of more than 40 NCASI Technical Bulletins, other reports and published articles
- 2017 Career Technical Award and Roy F. Weston Prize – Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry (TAPPI).
- Outstanding Achievement Award – Northwest Pulp and Paper Association