Philip PagoriaWater Research Engineer
Location: Independent – Highland Park, IL
Phil joined NCASI on a part-time basis in 2015, providing wastewater engineering support to member companies and participates in wastewater and water quality projects in the technical studies program. Prior to NCASI he was with the Weyerhaeuser corporate Environment and Sustainability team for 23 years as a wastewater technical specialist, providing engineering and compliance support in the U.S. and Canada. Prior to that he worked for Union Camp (now International Paper) at the Franklin, Virginia bleached Kraft mill as a senior engineer and later as environmental group leader. In that role he addressed environmental compliance and special projects, including managing 17 engineers and technicians to ensure compliance with water, wastewater, air emissions, and solid/hazardous waste permits. Prior to Union Camp he was on the Civil/Environmental Engineering faculties at Old Dominion University and the University of South Carolina – Columbia.
B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, General Motors Institute (Kettering Univ.)
M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Civil/Environmental Engineering, Univ. of Tennessee.
Licensed Professional Engineer (P.E.) in both Washington State and South Carolina.
Research capabilities and/or focus areas
Process water management, process water and wastewater treatment processes including aerated lagoon and activated sludge processes, nutrient discharge reduction.
Awards and Career Highlights
- Author of 40 publications and presentations at professional conferences.
Weyerhaeuser representative on NCASI industry advisory groups, including:
- Weyerhaeuser Representative NCASI Surface Water Quality and Effluent Treatment Task Group.
- Chairman Industrial Advisory Board for NCASI Development of US Forest Products Water Footprint.
- Member NCASI Pulping Liquor Best Management Practice Data Analysis Task Group.
- Member NCASI Condensate Biotreatment Industry Advisory Team.
Other professional services include:
- Peer reviewer for TAPPI Journal and WEF wastewater treatment papers.
- Organizing Committee International Water Association Forest Industry Wastewaters VII Conference.
- Weyerhaeuser Rep. Pulp and Paper Research Institute of Canada (PAPRICAN).
- Weyerhaeuser Rep. University of Toronto Research Consortium – “Using Chemistry and Biology to Improve Bleaching Effluent Quality.”
- AF&PA Effluent Guidelines Committee, Pulping Liquor Best Management Task Group.