Forest Industry Carbon Assessment Tool
The Forest Industry Carbon Assessment Tool™ (FICAT™) was developed by NCASI with financial support from the International Finance Corporation of the World Bank Group in 2008. Based on the Confederation of European Paper Industries (CEPI) Carbon Footprint Framework, FICAT assists in the development of cradle-to-gate or cradle-to-grave carbon footprints of forest-based companies. Footprints developed using FICAT include consideration of manufacturing emissions, carbon storage impacts, upstream emissions, and end of life effects.
The current version of FICAT, released in 2023, incorporates a number of updates, including:
- Ability to use the most recent global warming potentials (GWPs)
- Updated country specific electricity emission factors
- Updated transportation emission factors
- Updated default emission factors for use in estimating manufacturing emissions
- Updated permanently sequestered carbon value for coated solid unbleached kraft board
- Added deinked market pulp to product type options
- Improved compatibility with modern Microsoft Windows operating systems
- Modernized software security certificate to include the highest level of security
Download The Forest Industry Carbon Assessment Tool, version 1.4 (ZIP file, 18 MB)
This Zip file contains all components necessary to install the tool, as well as user documentation. After extracting the contents of the ZIP file and saving them to your computer, it is important to begin with the readme.txt file, which includes instructions about how to install and start FICAT. Windows 10 or later operating system is required.
Questions about FICAT and other tools used for carbon footprinting may be directed to gro.isacn@ofni.