Darren A. MillerVice President - Forestry Programs
Location: Independent – Mississippi State University
Provide leadership and oversight of the NCASI Forestry Program, which addresses environmental issues associated with sustainable forestry through technical support to Member Companies, a forward-looking research program, and liaisons with forestry stakeholders.
Primary topic areas include biological diversity, climate change, and carbon, forest certification, forest monitoring, and water quality.
Before starting with NCASI in 2018, Dr. Miller spent 21 years with Weyerhaeuser Company in several environmental research roles. He is also Past- President of the Southeastern Section of The Wildlife Society (TWS), the Mississippi Chapter of TWS, and the Southeastern Bat Diversity Network. He served 6 years as the Southeastern Section Representative on TWS Council. Dr. Miller has over 100 peer-reviewed/edited publications on a wide diversity of topics and taxa relative to wildlife ecology and management. He has been or is currently an adjunct faculty member at 6 universities, serving as a co-advisor and as a graduate student committee member for nearly 30 students.
- PhD., Forest Resources (Wildlife Ecology emphasis), Mississippi State University (1997)
- Master of Science, Wildlife Ecology, Mississippi State University (1993)
- Bachelor of Science, Wildlife Management, Eastern Kentucky University (1991)
- Certified Wildlife Biologist®
Research capabilities and/or focus areas
- Wildlife-habitat relationships
- Conservation of biological diversity in forested systems
- Bat communities
- Wildlife management
- Sustainable use of wildlife
Awards and Career Highlights
- President, The Wildlife Society (2018-2019)
Sam K. Riffell Award for Conservation Excellence (2017)
Fellow of The Wildlife Society (conferred 2016)
AF&PA Wildlife Stewardship Award (2006)