Ilich LamaProject Leader - Environmental Data Science
Location: Canadian Operations – Montreal, QC
Ilich Lama, PhD. joined NCASI in 2008. Prior to his tenure at NCASI, Dr. Lama worked at the Centre de Recherche Industrielle du Québec (CRIQ) as an NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council) postdoctoral fellow. There he undertook research on advanced optimization, modeling and control of wood pulp refining operations. Dr. Lama is responsible for NCASI’s Canadian Mill Environment Research program which includes a widespread range of projects and technical support activities of relevance to wood products and pulp & paper manufacturing operations. His research activities primarily include technical support on environmental compliance and reporting issues, statistical analysis of environmental and benchmarking data, development of emission factors, evaluation and characterization of air emissions and final effluents, and management and beneficial use of mill residuals. Dr. Lama is member of the Pulp and Paper Technical Association of Canada (PAPTAC), the Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry (TAPPI), and the International Environmetrics Society (TIES).
Ph.D. – Chemical Engineering, École Polytechnique de Montreal, Canada (2003-2006)
Masters (M.Sc.A) – Chemical Engineering, École Polytechnique de Montreal, Canada (2000-2002)
Chemical Engineer Diploma – National University of Engineering, Peru (2000)
B.Sc. – Chemical Engineering, National University of Engineering, Peru (1993-1997)
Research capabilities and/or focus areas
- Characterization of environmental releases from wood products and pulp & paper processes
- Statistical data analysis
- Computer programming
- Process systems modeling & optimization
- Machine learning applications
- Trilingual proficiency (English, French, Spanish)
Awards and Career Highlights
- US Patent 8,679,293, 2014: “System and method for optimizing lignocellulosic granular matter refining” F. Ding, I. Lama, R. Gagnon, C. Lejeune.
- Habich Medal, National University of Engineering, Lima, Peru.
- Youth Award of Excellence, Carrefour de Communautés du Québec, Canada
- NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship, Canada.
- Doctoral Scholarship – Fonds Quebecois de la Recherche sur la Nature et les Technologies, Canada.
- Doctoral Scholarship – Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), Canada.
- Research Scholarship from the Ministry of Mines and Energy of Peru, Peru.
- Research Scholarship from PETROPERU, Peru.